MOLD & INDOOR AIR QUALITY TESTING AND INVESTIGATIONSince 2003, Air Aware Building Science & Diagnostics Inc has continued to grow throughout Ontario as a trusted partner ensuring your homes safety. We are committed to your well being and have become a trusted name among contractors, private home owners, property managers and Realtors® across Ontario. With our sound inspection practices, state-of-the-art technology and the best scientific judgement applicable, we provide safe and effective solutions to indoor air quality issues.
Indoor Air Quality Testing
Air testing is performed to determine the presence and concentration of biological and chemical contaminants in your home’s air. Biological contaminants include mold, dust mites, animal dander and natural occurring substances. Chemical contaminants include new building materials, volatile organic compounds, personal hygiene products and others. There are also situations where individuals need proof that mold is present such as at rental properties. People with allergies, asthma/other respiratory issues, compromised immune systems, children and the elderly who are particularly sensitive to mold, air testing is recommended. Many home owners are just looking for peace of mind when requesting our air quality services.
Testing is typically done prior to and after remediation work is performed to validate the elimination of the air borne threat. AirAware offers both air and surface testing. We provide a report which includes type(s), concentration and the health effects that can be caused based on the specific types of contaminants present.
AirAware performs the most cost-effective and thorough mold inspection service available in the industry today. We start by doing a visual inspection, looking for mold indicators that include:
Is there a musty smell in the building? Are there visible signs of water damage anywhere? Has the building ever suffered a leaking basement? Has the building ever suffered a roof leak? Has the building ever suffered a plumbing leak? Has the building ever suffered a sink or sewer overflow?
We also look for water or moisture damage such as wood rot, cracking, swelling, staining, mold, and the causes of those conditions. It is important to note there are two types of mold problems in homes we service - mold that can be seen and mold that is hidden. The common misconception is that if you can't see it, it doesn't exist. Nothing could be further from the truth. Often, mold growth occurs in areas of the basement and attic that are hidden from plain sight: inside walls, on insulation, under flooring, in rafters and other places not easily accessed.
Keeping your indoor environment safe.
Fully Qualified & Insured
Industry Leading State-of-the-Art Equipment
Satisfaction and Performance Guarantee
7 Common Indoor Pollutants
Carbon Monoxide (CO)
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, invisible gas. It’s produced by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. Carbon monoxide stops your body from using the oxygen it needs to work normally. You may experience tiredness, headaches, dizziness, nausea, confusion, and a fast heart rate. If the concentration of carbon monoxide is high enough, you could die.
Radon is an odorless, colorless gas that is found everywhere in low levels. It is made naturally as the uranium in the Earth breaks down. Being exposed to elevated levels of radon increases your risk of getting lung cancer.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2)
Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) is a common oxide of nitrogen. It is a toxic and corrosive gas. Please note that nitrogen dioxide (NO2) is different from nitrous oxide (N2O), an oxide of nitrogen that is medically useful when administered by trained professionals, such as dentists. Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) irritates the throat, eyes, nose, and respiratory tract.
Exposure to very high doses of NO2, such as at the site of a building fire, can lead to pulmonary edema (potentially fatal liquid build-up in the lungs) or lung injury. Moderate exposure can lead to acute or chronic bronchitis. Low-level exposure can impair lung function for people who are already at risk, such as asthmatics, people with chronic obstructive lung disease, and children.
Secondhand smoke, also called environmental tobacco smoke, comes from incompletely burned tobacco products. Secondhand smoke contains over 4,700 chemical ingredients. In the short term, exposure to secondhand smoke can cause eye, nose, and throat irritation. In the long-long, it can cause many of the same health problems as smoking, like wheezing, pneumonia, bronchitis, and lung cancer. Asthma attacks may be triggered by secondhand smoke exposure.
Lead is a natural, soft metal that is very toxic if consumed. Lead was widely used in house paint until it was banned in 1978. Lead particles and dust can become airborne, leading to dangerous indoor air pollution. Exposure to lead can damage the brain, nervous system, kidneys, and red blood cells. If children are exposed, they may develop short attention spans, behavioral problems, lower IQ levels, and delayed growth.
Asbestos is the name used for a group of minerals found naturally all over the world. Although asbestos is not hazardous when intact, disturbing asbestos fibers causes them to become airborne, where they could potentially enter the lungs. In the long-term, exposure to asbestos can lead to various lung disorders, including lung cancer and asbestosis. Asbestosis is an inflammatory condition of the lungs that causes coughing, trouble breathing, and permanent lung damage.
Molds are types of fungi that grow indoors and outdoors. Some types of mold are harmless, while others are dangerous. Mold can trigger an allergic reaction in some people. Symptoms can include nasal stuffiness, eye or throat irritation, swelling, coughing or wheezing, headaches, or skin irritation. Severe reactions can lead to fever and trouble breathing. Mold can also trigger asthma attacks.